Port Everglades is an economic hub within the State of Florida, generating more than $33 billion worth of business activity and supporting thousands of local jobs each year. Due to its location and status as one of the largest cruise home ports in the country, millions of cruise line passengers pass through this busy port annually.
Cruise lines certainly provide a significant boost to state and local economies. However, what often gets glossed over or forgotten are the dedicated crew members who are the heart of these operations, many of whom unfortunately sustain significant injuries in the course of their employment.
If you are a crew member in or near Port Everglades, FL, and have sustained an on-the-job injury, you may be entitled to legal relief. Keep reading to learn more about your rights and options and see how a Port Everglades crew injury lawyer at the Johns Law Group, PLLC, can help you move forward.
Common Types of Port Everglades Crew Injuries
Working on a cruise ship or other maritime vessel is no easy task. In fact, this type of work is more dangerous than you might expect. Some examples of common causes of injuries that are often sustained by crew members include:
- Slips, trips, and falls due to slippery decks, wet surfaces, and uneven flooring;
- Drowning and other water-related incidents;
- Food poisoning;
- Falling objects;
- Assaults and other crimes;
- Operational and mechanical failures or malfunctions in equipment; and
- Inadequate safety equipment or precautions.
Generally speaking, a cruise line or other maritime operator has a legal duty to maintain a safe environment not only for its passengers but also for its crew members and employees. If your employer has failed to meet its legal duty, causing you harm as a result, you may have a claim for compensation.
Do I Need a Port Everglades Crew Injury Lawyer?
Technically, no. You do not need to hire an attorney to pursue such a legal claim. Nevertheless, the benefit of having an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner cannot be overstated. At the very least, it is worth consulting with a legal professional to discuss your rights and options before deciding whether and how to proceed.
How a Port Everglades Crew Lawyer Can Help
Maritime law can be tricky, particularly because crew member injuries often occur while someone is located offshore. Further complicating matters is the fact that there are a variety of state and federal laws and regulations—such as the Jones Act and the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)—that could potentially apply to your case.
However, having an attorney with a background in this particular area of law can significantly improve your chances of success.
An experienced Port Everglades crew lawyer can help you:
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of your legal claims,
- Provide advice and recommendations on how to move forward,
- Determine what laws and regulations may apply to your particular situation,
- Timely prepare and file any claims for compensation,
- Negotiate settlements with your employer to get you the compensation you need to recover, and
- Take your case to trial if settlement is not feasible.
In short, a qualified and experienced crew injury attorney can help you fight for your rights while reducing the amount of stress on your shoulders.
Johns Law Group, PLLC: Your Trusted Port Everglades Crew Injury Lawyers
With so many firms in the area to choose from, finding the right attorney to represent you in your personal injury case can feel overwhelming at times. To help you decide, here are a few things that we believe set us apart:
- Our firm has a specific practice area dedicated to cruise line and other maritime injuries, so you can feel confident that we have the background and experience necessary to effectively fight for your rights;
- We have a record of success in past cases, helping our clients recover millions of dollars;
- When you hire our team, you will never pay us a fee unless we recover money for you; and
- We pride ourselves on providing personalized attention to each and every one of our clients.